Old 12-04-19, 06:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hiding the stuff that happens
Originally Posted by Geekage
Today I got right hooked riding home from work....

Still, there are so many things others do (drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians) that could end up horribly bad, and some of us see those things on almost a daily basis.

We have become so used to it that it doesn't surprise us and for me there's usually no shot of adrenaline anymore when a car tries to occupy the same space as I'm in. I like to think it's because I'm ready for it. Ready, but still disappointed. It's just another roll of the eyes.

So, do any of you bring these kinds of things up around your significant others? Or do you do as I do and usually don't say a thing, unless I'm trying to one-up a friend
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff
I do not make a point of mentioning these things to my wife unless she asks me directly, and even then I try to temper the story.

As she is not very interested in cycling in general...she does not normally ask about my rides anyway.
I don’t mention these things, but there have been times my wife has had to come to my aid.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…BTW, my wife is a nurse, and she tended me well during my three month convalescence from my cycling accident.

Our relationship was early on very bicycle-centered, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon, so she does not give me a hard time about continuing cycling.
One time recently, I did bring up my accident, with regrets. My wife and I were meeting with our lawyer (not unpleasantly) and at the end of the meeting we got talking about bicycling.

When I mentioned I cycle-commute, it turned out the lawyer's husband does too and she expressed her concerns. When I somehow mentioned the accident, I realized that was the wrong thing to do. There was no reason to bring it up in this social context, and it was not as an admonition to be careful out there.

˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-19 at 10:24 AM.