Old 11-22-09, 05:50 PM
karjak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with torn/strained intercostals (ribs) muscle?

Trying to keep active as winter arriving here in South Dakota. I have bike trainer but not really what I like to do. Anyway after playing some Wednesday night pickup basketball and surviving, I was relaxed on my recliner with foot rest up and cat fell asleep on the comforter over my lap. House rule is that we try not to disturb sleeping cats!

In trying to crawl out from comforter and keeping cat on recliner, I got in an awkward position and felt a twinge across my ribs. Very painful and sore at times now across my right outside ribcage. Worse time is coughing, getting out of car, or turning in my sleep. I try to be careful but I get some really sharp pains. In going through Internet I believe I have either a strained, pulled, or tore intercostals muscle around ribs. Anyone done this?

I have been trying ice and intermittent heat over the last couple of days. Yesterday did absolutely nothing with complete rest and at night it seemed it hurt even worse when I turned over in bed. How can one not keep from re-aggravating so it can heal? Should one still do a little exercise but not extreme? Wonder how long before I can get back to normal activity and if my basketball days are over?

Last edited by karjak; 11-22-09 at 06:02 PM.