Old 07-17-18, 08:38 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
Brian

I appreciate your skills and experience but I find it hard to believe at 49 mph one would have a hard time communicating to the stoker the need to hop and pulling off in time especially if the pot hole was not seen until the last minute. You and us both have a fair amount of carbon wheel experience and ride them with confidence but that obstacle could taco any wheel.
Disagree. When we ramp up for descents like this, we go on high alert for all kinds of potential events... not just sailing down the road especially when the bad road conditions are known. Like the first and only time we went down Hwy 9 to Saratoga which isn't a bad road, but unknown to us, we did so on super high alert mostly due to traffic but still enjoyed reaching over 56mi/h. My GPS map helps a lot with unknown road descents - a quick glance to see what's coming up next.

Deep section carbon wheels with plenty of spokes will not taco like the ones in question here. More likely a tire blow out or fork failure than anything, neither of which would result in a pleasant day.

Either way, ride with what you can live with.

Last edited by twocicle; 07-17-18 at 08:42 AM.