View Single Post
Old 03-28-21, 11:10 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Two down cruisers back on the road

The bike in the foreground is a 1960 Columbia Torpedo with Bendix Coaster brake. I installed an aftermarket Schwinn style rack and a Wald basket. Cleaned, regreased and adjusted everything. Crank had to be replaced because right hand threads were stripped. Still has original steel rims in good condition and 26"x 1.75" tires. New grips and new tires and tubes round out the picture. I also changed out the original 48 tooth front chainring for a 40 tooth so it would be easier to pedal. Bike had a lot of gentle miles on it. Back in service.

The pink bike is a much newer Schwinn coaster brake step through. I didn't know what to expect but while rebuilding her the quality of components was higher than on the Columbia. It actually rides very smoothly and easily. Both bikes are fairly light for steel frame bikes. I installed new grips and a Wald basket bolted to its already installed rack. I equipped both bikes with locks and covered chain for paint protection. Schwinn also has new pink grips and new tubes for those meaty 26" x 2.125" tires.

I was tasked with rebuilding these two cruisers for family members. Both pedal very easily and smoothly. They turned out very nicely. They are to be used around town on shopping trips and shorter pleasure rides.
Likes For tallbikeman: