Old 05-06-15, 08:41 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarah1126
I just recently bought a '15 Trek FX 7.3 and I'm pretty happy with it so far with a few minor gripes. I was really torn between a road bike and the FX, I went for the FX because I want to still be able to ride on a gravel trail near my house and feel stable. However I'm finding that the stock grips are really hurting my hands. I wanted a more aggressive riding position so my LBS flipped my stem for me and I like the position a lot more....not sure if that's why the grips make my hands hurt. I'd like to have more options for hand positioning so I've been debating switching out the handle bars with drop bars but then I would probably want to buy different shifters for the drop bars and put in an additional brake lever for the flat part. I originally was just going to add some bar ends but that isn't an easy option like I had hoped since the IsoZone handlebars are funky shaped. I know you can get adapters so it is an option. I'd just like some other feedback on making the switch, I'd like to be able to ride for more than a half hour without my hands hurting. Before I bought the Trek I was riding a Schwinn Voyageour which was real nice for leaisurely ride but now I was something that'll help me with my fitness and cover more ground quicker. Feeling a little lost as to what my options are.

Also considering doing some upgrading with the pedals but have no idea what to consider...suggestions?
@Sarah1126 Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new bike. I did not care for the IsoZone handlebar either. I tried it for a few weeks, mounting different grips on it. However, there is something weird about that handlebar. I recently swapped out with a standard Bontrager h-bar. The grips I use (ERGON GP5) work so much better with the new bar. The RL bar is also lighter.

For pedals - would you consider clipless? I use the Shimano dual sided pedal, one side is platform and the other is Shimano SPD. This is entirely a personal preference tho.