View Single Post
Old 05-06-15, 11:35 PM
johnbash612

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarah1126
I just recently bought a '15 Trek FX 7.3 and I'm pretty happy with it so far with a few minor gripes. I was really torn between a road bike and the FX, I went for the FX because I want to still be able to ride on a gravel trail near my house and feel stable. However I'm finding that the stock grips are really hurting my hands. I wanted a more aggressive riding position so my LBS flipped my stem for me and I like the position a lot more....not sure if that's why the grips make my hands hurt. I'd like to have more options for hand positioning so I've been debating switching out the handle bars with drop bars but then I would probably want to buy different shifters for the drop bars and put in an additional brake lever for the flat part. I originally was just going to add some bar ends but that isn't an easy option like I had hoped since the IsoZone handlebars are funky shaped. I know you can get adapters so it is an option. I'd just like some other feedback on making the switch, I'd like to be able to ride for more than a half hour without my hands hurting. Before I bought the Trek I was riding a Schwinn Voyageour which was real nice for leaisurely ride but now I was something that'll help me with my fitness and cover more ground quicker. Feeling a little lost as to what my options are.

Also considering doing some upgrading with the pedals but have no idea what to consider...suggestions?

Hi! I also have been having issues with the isozone grips giving me hand numbness and pain. As I ride more it gets better (or at least I can ride longer before the numbing/pain starts). I will be playing with my seat position a bit, I will slide it forward to see if that takes some pressure off the hands a bit, a higher stem might fix it as well, since it forces a more upright position and moves the weight to the body. Its a bit disappointing that the isozone grips don't work so well. On my test ride I initially thought that since the palm rests over a larger area the force would be displaced better over more surface area, not the case unfortunately. My most ideal plan is to get bar ends to allow some variation in my hand positions. I'm still a fan of the way the isozone grips feel despite the issues with the hand pain. Just pouring more money into my brand new bike, but its worth it in the long run. I love doing my own work on my bike if I can, so I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting the adapters and bar ends to try it out. If I fail I can always go to my LBS and have them fix the fails. I'll report back with the difficulty of the job when its all finished and if it helps much with the hand numbness.