jtdehait@qwest.
Jack

Bikes: '89 Trek 800 Antelope, '81 Torelli Corsa Strada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I just looked at my Zefal HPX and i see 2 notches on the inside of the pump handle. i don't know if that unscrews (I think it does) or if it's a press fit.

Do you really need to take it apart (and risk breaking something) just to paint it/

Cheers
The two notches inside the handle don't seem to allow it to unscrew. The plastic pieces inside the handle are split in two, so they may be a press or snap fit. As you say, I don't want to break it, so I'm looking for someone who has disassembled it or has a broken one to inspect.

I'm in the process of turning a #4 into a #3 length - in polished Al. I have the option of shortening the inner rod at the seal end, or inside the handle. Inside the handle would be neater, and give me the option of dampening the vibrations of internal parts to stop the rattles.

Removing the pump head was easy with a homemade long screwdriver made from a 3/8 rod with the end ground down. The front grip removes easily with GooGone dribbled into it. It softens the glue (after about an hour), allowing it to be pulled off.

Next up is shortening the barrel, but saving the rounded end and hex hole, and machining a sleve plug with the same internal volume as the rounded end (wich sets the max pressure it will reach). Then it gets JB Welded together. Sounds like a lot of work for a $40 pump, but the engineering challenge is where the fun is.
Jack