View Single Post
Old 10-23-18, 05:49 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes ... we've been offered bicycle parking nearly 1 km away ... if there's room there.

I'm not that keen on cycling 17-18 km (one way), up and over a large hill, through busy morning traffic ... and then having to leave my bicycle in a public bicycle parking area and walk 1 km to work.

If there's not room there, then there are about 5 spots over at the hospital. We can use those if they aren't taken. Any time I've walked past, and I've walked past a lot in the last few months ... they're taken.

Otherwise, there might be room at a carpark about 1 km or more in another direction.

We're free to keep riding around till we find something ... but try not to be too late to work.

We do have the rubbish cage in my building too ... a few bicycles can go in behind the bins and cleaning supplies. But it is wide open to whoever walks up the alley, and there are only about 10 spots for the 10-storey building. They fill up really early.
Are there bike lanes, or would you be in the same lane with the cars for 16km? I do ride on roads without bike lanes, but it is irritating to have cars swerving around you all the time. I much prefer riding in a striped bike lane or other paved shoulder.