Old 02-18-19, 03:21 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
DV-22 rear suspension: sand -> grinding noises

Hello all winter basement mechanics (and everyone else)
Another of my deferred maintenance projects is related to the DNM DV-22 coil/oil-damper rear suspension element on my recumbent. I once (!) rode it for a little bit in mild rainy weather without fenders and picked up a lot of sand on the way. Some of that made its way onto the coil spring and the damper surfaces.
Ever since, I can hear some small grinding sounds from the suspension when it is in action.
I cleaned out the bike carefully, including all pivots and mounting points, and - obviously - finally mounted full-coverage fenders. I cannot spot any sand or dirty on the suspension element anymore, but still get those noises. It almost sounds like parts of the sand might be in the oil flow passing the valve (is that possible???), some sounds more like harder scratching. I cannot see any scratches (or any other irregularities) on the damper surfaces.

Two questions:
(a) Is this going to be a problem soon(er than standard life)?
(b) Can I do something about this?

Thanks!