View Single Post
Old 01-29-20, 05:26 AM
Adelmur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The thing is, it really doesn't matter all that much what your experience has been or your current machine is. The issue of human ergonomics w/r to road cycling has been under development for ~130 years using billions of test subjects. It's been pretty well studied. That said, there is also the issue of human conditioning for road cycling. It's like the fairy tale giant's bed: if their feet hang over, cut them off, if they're too short, stretch them. IOW if your current conditioning, flexibility, and reflexes don't match optimal road cycling ergonomic requirements, you don't modify the bicycle, you modify yourself. That way, after a few months of cycling you find that you have attained cycling nirvana, a perfect body on a perfect machine. Just like a new pair of skis, a proper bike teaches you to ride. You can't teach the bike.

So what you do is to go to the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and have someone help you take your dimensions. The calculator will give you 3 choices for the type of fit you want. You can run the three suggested fit styles and look at their differences.
Thanks for your return,
I understand the need to adapt my ergonomics to my new machine. This is why I launched this post to get your point of view.
I think there are lots of beliefs and supperstitions in the dimensions of a bicycle and in postural studies.
The bike fit calculator also gives three variable choices.
understand that there are several schools there are several schools.
I also think that aerodynamics and other factors are a reality.

As a point of comparison,
I have also been surfing for over thirty years.
You have to understand that a surfboard is an object that takes into account hydrodinamism. water due to the fact that it does not compress has a much greater impact than air in the form factor.
The mechanics of fluids is a very studied subject.

A surfboard is an individual response taking into account several factors. A person's surfing style, his physical condition, his physiognomy level and also the wave conditions encountered.
A good surfboard shaper that can interpret all of this. some are living legends.
My surfing level has not changed for 20 years. my physical condition is almost the same and I surf the same type of conditions.
Unlike the bike, the materials have remained the same (polyurethane fiberglass foam)
Yet my boards have nothing to do with what I surfed 15 years ago, 10 years and 5 years ago.
The shape of surfboards in general has evolved enormously.

What I hear with this example is that there are also fashions in bike geometries and that there has been a lot of marketing spent by brands in the bicycle business to suggest that bike is as technological as a space program from nasa and that ergonomic studies are at the cutting edge of technology.
As a designer, I integrated ergonomic studies into my curriculum.
The body is a soft matter with hard stuff inside maintained by elastic stuff .. in short, it is variable and evolutive ...
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Last edited by Adelmur; 01-29-20 at 05:46 AM.