Old 05-10-20, 02:26 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by eduardosuave
Hello everyone - the subject pretty much says it all but there is a secondary question associated with it.

I started riding in 2013 - I saw a bike at a local shop that was expensive (to me at the time) but aesthetically, this was the bike I wanted. So I made a deal with myself, I got a single speed and told myself that if I ride this bike consistently for 3 months, I could go and get that expensive bike. I got to the point where I could ride that single speed 20-25 miles, 3-4 times a week within 2 months and that's when I said, time to get that bike.

So I got it - my Felt Z4 size 56, 10-speed. At the time, I had zero other cycling friends and knew zero about how to use gears, clipping in, how to be fitted - nothing. I just liked the looks of that bike. So I got the bike, didn't get fitted even though the bike shop was offering - put on regular pedals, adjusted the seat to the height I was comfortable with and rode it for 37 miles on its maiden voyage. The thing is, I am only 5'8" and have been told several times that the bike (56cm) is a little to big.

About a year later - I went back and got fitted on the advice of a buddy of mine who had been riding for several years. The shop even remembered me and honored their free fitting that they offered the first time. For the most part I've been doing okay with the fit. Its been 6 years and 4000 miles now, I'm usually a 25-35 mile/3-5 times a week at 15-15.5 mph (I'm old and slow) and I've been wondering - is it time for a new bike that is the right size (and fitted better)?

Thoughts? And when do you guys justify its time for your new bike?
What did the guys who did the fitting say? How do you feel when you are riding? 3 to 5 times/week 2 hours a day is a lot of riding. How do you feel after you ride? If the answer is, you feel fine, then no, there is no need to make any changes.