View Single Post
Old 09-15-10, 07:52 PM
dr. nate

Bikes: K2 Mach 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I'd like to say welcome to the "Southern Ivy League" which is by far 100 times better than it's more liberal and yankee counterparts. If you haven't seen Rice in person yet then you're in for a nice treat. The campus and the surrounding area is gorgeous, more so the areas between Rice University and The University of St. Thomas. Rice is also located next to the world famous Texas Medical Center, several of Houston's museums, and a train ride away from Reliant Stadium (Texans) and Minute Maid Park (Astros).

You're wife will have plenty to do if she wants to leave the house. Rice Village has some nice restaurants and shops, further south is Highland Village, the Galleria (a three story massive complex of a mall), and you're just outside of the downtown district where you can catch a show (live or on film).

Houston is actually underrated and has gotten a bad reputation that honestly isn't deserved. Houston is a melting pot of cultures (think Montreal or Toronto). The food is amazing and we have two things I guarantee you don't have up there in Yankee-Doodle-Land. TexMex and real BBQ (where they use a cow instead of a pig). Ever had brisket? The beer here is even better, we even have Molsen down here. While I'm referring to Canada I'll also mention that we even have ice hockey (season starts soon).

It is wickedly uncomfortable when Houston experiences it's more extremes of the climate map. The heat here tops out around the upper 90's according to the weathermen, but you'll see 110+ days in your backyard easy. The temperature isn't that bad in the shade, nor is the humidity. You get use to it, learn to dress according to the super hot days, and make sure you have great AC in your car and house. The winters here are bone chilling at it's coldest because of the humidity. If the temperatures drops below 32*F, any ice is spotted, or it drops one snow flurry the entire city will shut down (and everyone forgets how to drive).

Speaking of driving, buy a truck or an SUV. There is so much to Texas that you'll want a boat, RV, four wheelers, or a horse. You'll need it to haul whatever it is you buy. To not explore Texas is a crime, there is so much in the city and so much more outside of the city. We have places like The Hill Country where we float down rivers in tubes and drink beer. You can do dancing in a wooden dance hall that is over 100 years old while listening to Texas Country. We have amazing food that includes TexMex and brisket.

I'm not just saying this because I am a Texan, but this state is amazing. Honestly the best way I can sum up Texas since you are Canadian is to say this. Texas is to United States as the province Quebec is to Canada with Houston being the United States' Montreal.

-Nate