Thread: Truing a wheel?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-17, 04:33 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovenutz
1.) I don't take anything from random pretentious dudes on the internet to heart. And it wasn't obvious the rim was bent. After taking out all the spokes and laying the rim flat it is only bent out a mm or two.

2.) Lol no, not the nipple. The thing the nipple seats in on the rim. Like a brass cup thing. I know what a nipple is.

3.) Yeah this is my fist time truing a wheel, so the time isn't wasted, its called practice.

4.) Agree to disagree "Professor. Wheel-builder."

Yeah... thanks.
1. When you post to a forum on the Internet you will receive answers from "dudes" on the Internet. You can reduce the randomness here by checking the poster's profile and past posts. As for pretentious, I'm not pretending to be anyone or trying to impress anyone. Perhaps obvious was too strong a word, but: "If you find that truing results in some spokes extra tight and others loose ... the rim is bent" is pretty straightforward. The rim could easily be both bent sideways and out of round (especially flat in one area) as well. The damage caused by overtensioning in an attempt to get the wheel more true is more than enough evidence that the rim is not acceptable as is.

2. If you know what a nipple is then you know that it is the nipple, not the spoke, that is seated in the grommet that reinforces the hole on the rim, which is what led to my confusion.

3. I was referring to taking apart the wheel being a waste of time, as it's already known the rim is bent. I'll concede that it was an opinion - something that you will often see on a forum.

4. Snideness noted, but as I have taught wheel building the title could be considered accurate. You're more than welcome to explain what part of wheel building or truing is an "art," given that machines routinely do it, and that I have taught non-artistic persons as young as 13 years old to build a perfectly useable wheel on the first try.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 07-01-17 at 04:40 AM.