Old 08-06-20, 08:59 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I know right? "winning" an argument on the forum is more important than lying or in sharing personal experiences in order to help the bike community, right?

You make a good point. I certainly believe you. Carbon can not take a point load very well. It will loose the "sword fight" with a steel fork. It can take a high torsional load. So yeah, in my case it can fly off the car (no point loading) but in your case you can't hit it with a hammer or a handlebar (point loading). I have old aluminum bikes have gotten dented or corroded to the point where they are not really usable. My old steel and carbon bikes are fine. But, that is just my experience.
So, I was talking with a guy about carbon repair and he showed me what carbon is good at and what it is not good at. He let me hit a piece of carbon tube with the flat top of a hammer and it did not seem to do much of anything. Now, I did not slam it but I hit it with what I thought was a good bit of force. Next, he had me hit it with what almost looked like an axe edge and as you would almost expect, even a light hit cracked the tube. Sharp impacts are something that carbon can't take.

My bike fell very gently but hit the bottom of my park stand. The right side specifically and caused the crack.