Old 01-31-19, 03:16 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallLegs
Hello everyone,

I trying to get into the world of tandem bikes but seem to be coming across the same problem looking at bikes. I am 5'6" and my gf is 5'10" and finding a bike that fits us seems to be impossible. I have much more experience biking and have done a few very long trips that I can't stop talking about. After talking about them so much my gf wants to go on a supported touring trip with me and we think that doing that on a tandem would be amazing.

All the tandems I have found seem to have a set up for a taller captain and a shorter stoker. She isn't 100% opposed to being captain but would feel much more comfortable if I could be. Also tracking down a bike that isn't going to break the bank (because we are both college students) would be ideal.

The questions I would have for you all would be:
1. Is it possible to find a bike that would make it possible for both of us to enjoy the ride and both of us would fit on
2. would that bike be conformable putting 70-100 miles on daily for a long tour. (not some beach cruiser tandem)
3. Would it be possible to find a bike that wouldn't break our wallets

Much love,
a short man with a dream
You're only 4" different in height, so it isn't THAT much. I wish my stoker and I were closer in height so we could perhaps trade places. However, your specific body measurements will determine how "different" you two are. So you may do fine on a medium/medium tandem with some minor modifications, regardless of who you put in front.

In fact, it would be cool if you two were close enough in dimensions that you could trade places. But that might just be unrealistic on my part.

Either way, you should have both have a detailed fitting done to see what stock tandem options would work for you. You can then use this information to determine if and what tandems out there meet your parameters. And since cost is a concern, you'll probably have to go it alone and scour the used tandem market to find something that fits.

Maybe you'll just happen to luck out and find something you can trade off captaining and stoking. That would be great. I should add, however, that weight is probably the biggest concern when deciding who's up front. A stoker that is double the weight of the captain has the real risk of redirecting the tandem's trajectory with an ill-timed or advised weight shift. Think of careening into a parked car, or worse!

I'm wondering if you might find some solutions by asking some knowledgeable niche market people. And by this I mean those providing mobility and recreation options for those with sight impairments. BORP is a Bay Area group that does exactly this. They may have information about tandem bikes designed for a larger stoker in back with a smaller sighted captain in front. But again, since you are only 4" apart, I'm hoping you can find a stock solution off the shelf.

Good luck.