Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaChuck
I experimented some last year with riding in a fasted state. 30 or so miles was ok. But around mile 50 the gas tank would start getting empty. Pushed it to 62 miles one day. Discovered what hitting the wall meant. Not the smartest thing to do, but I learned a lot.
What about preloading with carbs? Help or not?
There was a rage for carbo loading a few years ago, but it's been abandoned. The full deal was that you would really deplete yourself, all the way down to or almost to bonking, just about what you did, and then eat carbs like crazy for several days. The thinking now is that's too much stress on the system and not worth it. What people do now is the last 2-3 days before the event they keep the calories about the same, but cut the fat and protein down, thus the carb percentage goes up quite a bit. So training volume and intensity go down, carbs go up, and you don't gain weight other than from increased glycogen and its accompanying water. This seems to work best. The day before the event, I drink 2 bottles of sports drink slowly, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. That makes sure I'm hydrated, good with electrolytes, and tops up the tank.

A century isn't really a very long ride, though it might seem so now. A good plan is to go with plain water, take Clif bars as described above, and cruise the rest stop tables for what looks really tempting, if there are rest stop tables. I'll often finish a ride like that with extra Clif bars, so I only prepare a couple at a time. One can also use a sports drink, but that's more complicated than just filling your bottles from a spigot and more complication takes more time.

For electrolytes, especially important if it's hot, I use Endurolytes, 1/hr or more depending on the person. I take enough so I'm slightly thirsty and want to drink.

Pay attention most closely to hydration and nutrition for the first 3 hours. Then you got it.