View Single Post
Old 01-23-14, 11:35 AM
dalameda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delta, sounds like you have the training and eating part under good consideration. There is also a mental aspect with century rides. I did a series of century rides last year, and on the early ones I would get to about mile 70 or 80 and go into a deep funk, vowing to never climb another hill in my life, or even get on the bike again after this was over. There were also 2 centuries where I negative talked myself into calling it quits - on one ride I sagged in, on the other I took a short cut, but in both cases I was telling myself "this is too hard, I can't make it" so obviously, I didn't make it. I turned that around by trying a trick someone mentioned on one of the forums here - to break the century into 4 or 5 smaller rides, usually divided up by the rest stops (if it is an organized ride) You can easily do a 25 mile ride. When I pull into the rest stop I mentally tell myself, ok, I finished my ride, then when I start out, I start a new ride. I will change the food,(e.g. I get to have peanut butter on this ride, fruit and a cookie on the next one), maybe play music (only one earphone) on one section, or try to ride a paceline, focus on the scenery or the terrain for one section - anything to make it feel like a separate ride. I have found that 4 - 25 mile rides is a lot easier than 1 100 mile ride, and I usually finish them faster!