View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 06:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think that most of that is true. Schrader valves are found lots of places besides relatively low pressure automobile tires. Trucks, for instance commonly use around 100psi tire pressure and they use Schrader valves. How about your home air conditioner? Lots higher pressure and they are expected to not leak at all.
I have to agree, I can't imagine Schrader valves being any worse than Presta. Plus, they have the spring to help keep the valve closed, when the Presta uses internal air pressure alone to keep it closed (plus that screw on cap which really isn't necessary).

I do like the Presta on bikes, but there really isn't a good reason.

Originally Posted by kovacsa
Thanks, Do you have the link for the site you mentioned? I was considering Presta, but my rims are Schrader.
There was a discussion recently about Continental brand tubes (maybe other brands too) that come with a stepped nut. Apparently simply turn the stepped nut upward for Schrader, and downward for Presta.

There may be other Presta/Schrader adapters, but it probably isn't necessary as long as there aren't any burrs in the hole.