View Single Post
Old 06-28-19, 08:06 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting to see some model years with spoon seat stay caps and other model years with flat MIYATA embossed stay caps. It isnt even consistent where for early 80s had spoons and late 80s/90s had flat caps. It seems to switch year to year almost.
Originally Posted by fliplap
Also, for whatever reason, the 1986 model had vertical dropouts whereas every other year until 1990 had horizontal.

Another thing- I believe the "LT" on the post 1986 models was just a change in the model name- instead of Miyata 1000 (or One Thousand) it was a 1000LT. The LT didn't specify a different spec or a different component package, as on the Schwinn Voyageur SP- which was a separate bike from the Voyageur.

So it wasn't like you were getting a 1987 1000 with regular CrMo tubing and MT-60 components vs an 87 1000LT with STB tubing and XT components.

Originally Posted by sdn40
Might I suggest giving us the usual specs that we always want to know on these ? Shifters, crank, cassette, derailleurs, racks, etc. I think it would be awesome info to be able to access from this thread !
Absolutely- I love speaking 'bike dork.'

My 1990 Miyata 1000LT came with some components replaced and some wear on others and a bent outer FD cage. I had an XT derailleur, but an M900 XTR derailleur fell into my lap... and so it started. When I rebuilt my Trek 720, I specifically tried to stay away from Shimano components. With this build I tried to stay away from Suntour components. I think the only thing I chose out of that Suntour group was the DiaCompe roller cable yokes. I like those things, they're not exactly Suntour, but I also like the triangle-y ones... I think I probably flipped a coin to decide.

Bars: Nitto B132 44
Stem: Nitto Technomic 90mm
Headset: Tange Nova (stock)
Levers: IRD Drillium
Housing: Jagwire "Titanium"
Shifters: I think Shimano 600 7 speed (stock)
Handlebar tape: Ritchey faux leather stuff
Saddle: Brooks B17
Seatpost: M900 XTR
Brakes: MT-62 Deore II (stock) (w/ Kool Stop Cross Pads)
Cable Hanger: Stock overbuilt awesome (stock)
Cable Yoke: Dia Compe roller guy
Derailleurs: M900 XTR (purple Bullseye pulleys)
Crank: M730 XT
Chain: SRAM PC 870
Pedals: SR SP-11 w/Cat Eye clips and Lapize straps
Front Rack: Vetta
Rear Rack: Blackburn
Bottle cages: King Cage
Hubs: Deore DX (stock)
Rims: Ukai 700c (stock)
Tires: Compass Bon Jon Pass 35mm
Cassette: Stock

Accoutrements: Acorn front bag, Planet Bike rear light, Eyelink mirror.

I really love the way everything works together on this bike. It would be pointless to go through the things I like on here.

The things I'm not so fond of- the outrageously expensive Eyelink mirror, the faux leather bar tape and the Nitto bottle cages. I don't hate the mirror as much as I used to- and it fits these levers best. The bar tape is to slippy- I'm used to cork stuff. The bottle cages... I want to love them- they look cool and classy... but bottles seem to stick- maybe they'll loosen up some, but I just like the old traditional style.

M1000LT by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.