View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 01:03 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Doesn't appear they are trying to hide anything. If you don't like it, pay in pounds and then you can pay your bank based on their conversion rate.. Or buy somewhere else or buy something that doesn't need to be imported.
As for them not hiding anything? I'd call it an error of omission. Their FAQ is pretty clear about some of the mechanics of ordering to the US or Canada:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/international
and at first glance it looks pretty reassuring:
" When shopping for delivery to USA we will automatically:
- Remove British VAT at 20%"

but what they aren't saying is "first we'll jack up the UK price by 30% and THEN we'll deduct the 20% VAT"

and if Wiggle is going to tout "Free Delivery for orders over $X" then don't build a hidden delivery cost into the pricing. Price it out clearly and separately.

and finally, It's not actually the currency choice that drives the price differences. it's the country of delivery. I can choose to pay in GBP but still get charged a higher price for an item shipped out of the UK.
I believe that Wiggle and CRC is simply counting on their foreign customers not being very curious, counting on them blithely clicking on USD and United States, accepting whatever price is thrown at them, and not going back and seeing the real price differences.

Maybe I should just ask this: "How many people out here were aware that they were paying considerably more - 20-30% more - for a Wiggle item shipped to the USA or Canada than to the UK, even before taking shipping into consideration?"
I'll bet few to none.