Old 05-30-19, 05:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Deteriorating infrastructure is a common complaint throughout the U.S. There are various reasons for it, mostly whether taxpayers are willing to pay the freight. I've seen it in my own area, where some of my friends gripe on Facebook about road conditions one week, then the next week complain about paying property taxes, etc. Hardly anyone complains about sales taxes, which actually fund most of Texas, because it's a little at a time. We don't have state income tax so we just defer the pain to other areas.

The most common solution to expedient and cost effective road maintenance in Texas and surrounding states is chipseal. Basically, gravel glued down. It's durable and rough. If we're lucky. Sometimes the older, poorer neighborhoods suffer semi-roads that are milled down to the concrete substrate, which is like the world's worst cobbles, and left that way for weeks or months before road crews finish the job. Almost makes chipseal seem civilized again.

No point complaining about it. While I enjoy my old school road bikes I won't buy another bike that can't take tires larger than 700x28. There are plenty of good, fatter, comfortable tires that also aren't sluggish -- not enough to make any difference in my rides. If all my bikes could take 700x42 Continental Speed Rides I'd be a happy camper.

I can often tell from Strava heat maps where the smoother pavement is. So I'll check out those rides. But it's often boring stuff, usually mostly flat terrain in pricey neighborhoods.