Old 05-13-19, 07:29 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As long as the setup feels good to you, it's fine. If the ride feels so sluggish you routinely notice it during a 3 mile commute, absolutely make some changes. Otherwise... it's really fine. I think most of the RR issues and bike weight stuff is blown entirely out of proportion. I could ride my wife's bike 3 miles without much issue, and its frame is so small I can't pedal while turning because the drops on the handlebars try to hook behind my knees. Oh, and the weight thing? When my "go anywhere" bike is setup for long distance, like it was for my 104 solo miles on Saturday, it rolls out of the driveway fully-loaded at ~33lbs. Unless there's a number pinned to the back of your shirt, complaining about weight is for people who need excuses.
Yeah it does feel okay now. The last time I made a tire change was when the stock Specialized Trigger Sports felt like slogging through mud.

I went to Michelin Proteks, which are heavy and stiff but they really improved the overall 'zippiness' of the bike. But I bought those without much research because they were on sale on the BikeTiresDirect daily special for like $15. So I just took an unresearched chance.