View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 11:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
Yeah I have a 6-pt DeWalt set but I feel like my 12-pt USA Craftsman socket actually grips better.. go figure. I'll try the 6-pt again. Do you mean your left hand on the non-drive pedal and then right hand on the ratchet?
Not surprising, actual US made craftsman sockets were usually a decent brand and made to fairly decent standards, Newer stuff, not so much, the dewalt sockets are also, not to be insulting, a fairly cheap item and not really any better then harbor freight. I'd expect the craftsman to work better regardless of the 12 vs 6pt.
With a cheaper bike with thick tubes that I don't worry about I strap the crank arm to the frame so I don't have to hold it and also use a 1/2" breaker bar. Flip the bike upside down and set the bar so I can put my weight behind just pushing down.

What's the model number of the crank? It'll be on the back, looks like one of the ones that was recalled, if it is the recall is still valid and last time I did one 2 years ago it included a crank, BB, chain and front der. They're slow to replace right now but if it is the recall crank its cause they would snap.