View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 11:49 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not surprising, actual US made craftsman sockets were usually a decent brand and made to fairly decent standards, Newer stuff, not so much, the dewalt sockets are also, not to be insulting, a fairly cheap item and not really any better then harbor freight. I'd expect the craftsman to work better regardless of the 12 vs 6pt.
With a cheaper bike with thick tubes that I don't worry about I strap the crank arm to the frame so I don't have to hold it and also use a 1/2" breaker bar. Flip the bike upside down and set the bar so I can put my weight behind just pushing down.

What's the model number of the crank? It'll be on the back, looks like one of the ones that was recalled, if it is the recall is still valid and last time I did one 2 years ago it included a crank, BB, chain and front der. They're slow to replace right now but if it is the recall crank its cause they would snap.
Yeah definitely on the socket set - the DeWalt set was a gift bought at Costco. It's nice cause it has a bunch of stuff, but it is definitely way, way lower quality than my USA made Craftsman and vintage Snap-On stuff that I usually buy for myself.

Would should I use to strap the crank to the frame? Would a ratchet strap from my truck work?

Oh wow I had no idea about that crank - I was considering replacing it anyway so that might be a good idea. What replacement did they send you? How would I go about getting the replacement done? Do I just call Shimano?

EDIT: The crank is FC-CT91

Last edited by speedyspaghetti; 03-04-21 at 11:57 PM.