AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by duceditor
The scientific method to me has great appeal. I try to use it in as much of my personal decision making as possible. But what passes for "science" today is often closer to religion. Does that make it bad? Not necessarily. A lot of people say their lives are enriched by religion. But it does make it distinctly unappealing to me.

-don
A very good point, and I agree with you. And the whole "eating fat makes you fat" you point to is probably a good example. I have no idea where that came from, but it certainly isn't based in science. Simple carbs and sugar are what is most likely to create body fat, and from what I read, there is increasing evidence that 'free sugar' can essentially lead directly to fat build up in the liver, which can cause a whole host of issues, not the least of which is diabetes. That issue is also a great example of statistics, and how they can be both a valuable tool and misleading. Correlation does not always equate to causation, and our epidemic of obesity and diabetes was thought to be tied to other causes, but research and a re-look at the data indicate that sugar consumption spiked at the same time (sodas and such), and that it is more likely to have a causal relationship than anything else, do to findings like this:

http://www.yalescientific.org/2011/0...-and-diabetes/