View Single Post
Old 01-27-20, 11:35 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
BTW I tried the Sutra. The frame was a size smaller than what I thought I would need. I could stand over it, feet flat on the ground and then lift it off the ground about an inch. Riding it felt like it was designed pretty well. It had the toe-overlap that people warned me about for 700c wheel bicycles (but "strangely" doesn't happen on my Trek 520 from '99). Even if that happens with the frame size that's most appropriate for me, it's not a reason for me to choose a bike with smaller wheels. So back to the trial ride: Everything seems good within reason. Shifting is good. I love the brakes. The tires, Marathon Mondial, are horrible for hardpack pavement, where I do most of my riding, so I will be switching those out to something more appropriate. Marathon classics don't come in a 40mm model, unfortunately (the "40" is actually a 38). The Marathon Supreme does come in an actual 40mm, so that might be a candidate. I might've read an unfavorable anecdote regarding that tire though. If anyone has experience with the Marathon Supreme, please share it here. I would like buy this bike, after I decide which of its frame sizes works best for me, but only if I can have good tires that don't interfere with good fenders.