View Single Post
Old 08-05-20, 05:44 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycale
Wow you're full of info. I love hobbyist sites...

Okay the Parallax hub is 7 spd. It's on the 95 GT Arette I'm riding now. The whole reason I bought this Carisma is for the fun of overhauling it of course, but I also think I may prefer the geometry of the Univega better than my GT and I might just move the Arette along once the Carisma is all done. I've had the Arette for years, I really like it and it's in fantastic cosmetic shape but hey, variety is the spice of life. The Via Carisma is a lighter bike, has some features I like and rides very comfortably for my body.

The only problem is that the finish on the Univega is pretty rough compared to my near-cherry GT. If I end up keeping the Carisma long-term I would consider having it repainted. I'd never get the 200 bucks back if I sold it but if it was a keeper it might make me happy...

Here's my 95 GT Arette...
Your bike is from when GT was a top brand.

FYI, your crank was recalled; Shimano still honors it. Take it to your LBS they will throw you a new Tourney crank. It will not have the funky close ratio gears that crank had.