View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 08:00 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
I noticed you already ordered your parts. I'll just clarify the point I was making. You mentioned that your saddle was 1.5 cm too low. You said you were going to readjust it by moving it up 1 cm. The increase in bar height is going to be less than the increase in saddle height, leaving you with a net increase in saddle to bar drop, hence the "lower" position. With your 8mm increase in bar height, you're left with a 2mm increase in saddle to bar drop compared to your set up now.

You can use the stem calculator to also play with seat adjustments. If you're going to keep the saddle clamped in the same position on the post, then adjust the stem values for extension and angle to "0". For height, input the change in saddle height. You can do this by setting RED to "0" and the blue to your increase, or set the red and blue to any numbers that give you your desired differential. Lets use a bike with a 73* seat tube. For an increase of 30mm inline with the seat tube, you get a 29mm vertical increase, and 9mm of increased set back.

Fun stuff! I'm tracking you know. I originally had an absolute increase in my stem height, but given the absolute increase of saddle height, my stem was being lowered, relative to saddle height. :-)

Unfortunately, I wish that 1.5mm increase in my saddle was more than an estimate. I moved it to my correct fitting height before Carleton suggested I go with a 130mm stem. At this point, since I am getting new bars as well, I am sort of starting from scratch, almost.

But to finish out the thought process, assuming I did raise my seat 1.5cm and given the flipped 100m +/-6 stem I have on it now, if I put this EC90 130mm +/- 0 stem on my bike, my stem is lowering 2mm (based on the calculator), and this is on top of it already being relatively lower based on the 1.5cm saddle height increase. So I believe that be a relative stem lowering of 1.7cm. I might be able to handle it. I would need a 130m stem that is almost +/- 9, which would increase the stem heigh by 1.7mm to create a net zero change in height. A 130mm stem angled up at 8-9 degrees is going to look bizarre! Maybe not. I'll see. I'm just going to wait until I get the new bars and stem on, then see how it all feels. If need be I'll put a spacer in.