View Single Post
Old 09-05-10, 08:39 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a lot of people told me the drum brakes would be a disaster, but I haven't found that to be the case and I weighed 300# when I bought the bike so I really tax them. they work at least as well as rim brakes in dry conditions, and in the rain there's no comparison. I also like the fact that I can ride them down the hill without worrying much about overheating etc (they are also called "roller" brakes I think for this reason.)

that said, I haven't had a bike with disc brakes. and there is a new "DLX" version of the Soho this year that has a disc brake on the front wheel (though still a drum brake on the rear). I can only assume they did that in response to requests for more stopping power, but I"m not sure.

for what it's worth, I haven't touched either of the drum brakes in 1300 miles of commuting. for $500 I think it would be hard to beat that Torker unless you can find a 2009 Giant TranSend EX - I saw one for $650 or so and it has an 8-speed IGH with disc brakes. I really wanted the belt drive though so I paid the extra $70 for the Soho.

good luck