Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
I’m planning on a long distance multi-week tour (Louisville, KY to Colorado) I may end up staying in CO. I may spend 4 weeks trekking around seeing the mountains. That’s another story for another post I’m working on.

Money is obviously something that requires serious consideration; and the more the better. Has anyone ever put together a donation/sponsorship page to ask for help either a simple web page, or from a third party paypal or fundraising specific site? I’d like to be able to approach friends, family, etc with my vision, and ask for help. Help could be a small monetary donation, equipment, a place to stay along the way…

Has anyone done something like this? Is it generally perceived by “outsiders” that this is just some sort of a vacation and I’m asking for handouts? People I’m close to realize how much of a big deal this is, a life changer! And they’ll happily supply me with some cash, etc.
I don't see a word in there about all the funds you raise going directly to a particular charity. Some charities will allow you to put a link on your website so that when someone clicks the link they can donate directly to the charity ... the money would never go to you, you would not be responsible for the money. If that's what you have in mind ... go for it!!

If, however, you're thinking of raising money for yourself, yes indeed, that is perceived as trying to get someone else to pay for your vacation. Hey Rowan and I are going to Canada shortly for several weeks ... would you like to give us a couple thousand so we can have a really enjoyable vacation???

From what you've written, you're only going for 4 weeks. That's not very long and shouldn't require a huge amount of money. Do what many of my Canadian coworkers used to do (and presumably still do) ... get a part-time job, in addition to your full-time job, and save the money from the part-time job for your vacation. In the case of my coworkers, they saved money for a couple weeks in Hawaii, Mexico, Cuba, etc. in January or February. And it was a good system ... work a little bit harder for a few months, and then get away from the snow and cold and enjoy themselves for a couple weeks.

Now is a good time to start looking around for Christmas work. You probably won't get hired until mid-Sept or so, but it never hurts to get some applications into your local shopping centres soon. If you work till about mid-January, that's 4 months of part-time work and should pay for your 4 week holiday, and then some.

Last edited by Machka; 08-01-11 at 09:19 PM.