Thread: Strong Wheels
View Single Post
Old 05-10-19, 09:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I bow down to @cyccommute obvious superiority and knowledge in all things wheel related. My decades of machining aerospace materials as a profession clearly has not prepared me for the amazing wisdom that has been bestowed upon me. I am not worthy.

For the record if you don't want to be seen as lamenting something, don't start a post with
<sigh> I'm going to have to say this again. If your concern is with the spokes, why are you looking at the rim and hub? Spokes are what break so address that problem, not something unrelated.
It makes it seem as if you are tired of passing on the same old tired tid-bit of knowledge any n00b ought to know and are concerned about peoples preoccupation with spokes, not rim or hub strenght as you later changed your story to.

Kedosto made a good point about spoke pull through, one I didn't think germane to my post for brevity reasons. The rim strength is absolutely is important. I have seen this, among "good" wheels & good product. Pull through, cracking & fatigue clearly, neigh unambiguously indicate the item in question was under rated or under engineered for the duty asked. The repair of which was a significant part of my profession for quite some time. (You have seen my work & my repairs in the news & my work carries millions of humans around the world daily) Low spoke count, concentrates the load in a smaller area. Increasing risk, stress & shortening service life & reduces safety margin. It's an imuttable law of physics. Yet this is ignored in favor of ego because, (obviously) you know better than Kedosto as well. Spoke type, & it's various constructions & qualities is a further nuance but not the primary determining factor for the load concentration at a particular juncture, like a spoke head for example. Take a physics class and learn about moments. Take a math class & learn about logarithms. Starting with a lesser load in a given area is a great place to start when considering fatigue life. Only then can you work on optimization of the design by various load sharing schemes like various amounts of spoke stretch or the reduction of unnecessary material in unstressed areas.

I am also keenly aware volume of material has little to do with strength. If you were savvy, you would see my intentional addition of the Velocity Quill and the qualification of what Velocity feels it's service capabilities is adequate for would demonstrate my awareness of that fact.

My recommendation of a 550 gram plus rim had to do with economics and the unsuitability of ultralight "race wheels" for this use case. The OP has been steered in a good, proper, and safe direction for fault tolerant wheels. The point of this thread. So what's your gripe? That someone agrees with you in a different way?

Last edited by base2; 05-10-19 at 10:35 AM.