Old 05-30-19, 03:47 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
Colnago Super: a Longtime dream, now a reality.

I've dreamed of a Colnago since I was a kid. Kid budgets don't typically allow for such extravagant purchases. Then life happened, got out of cycling for a while, now back in it, rediscovered this forum, and the dreams of Colnago re-entered my mind. However, still, the prices I saw for what I 'lusted' after were (and still are) out in the "can't really justify this right now" zone.
A recent post in the "CL/eBay are you looking for one of these" showed a "1981 Colnago Super" at a somewhat reasonable price, with a make offer. I negotiated with the seller for them to keep a few (incorrect) parts off it to help lower the price ($150 price reduction, win for me!). I also knew that I had 95% of the "missing" parts in my stash, so between the seller keeping parts for a lower price, and me having all the parts to put back on, it all worked out great.
So what showed up today is a 1980/81ish (I think) Colnago Super in fair condition. Fair enough for my standards and taste, and something to improve upon as time goes on and/or as needed.
Something that was pointed out in the CL/eBay thread was the Campagnolo Record hi-lo rear hub, sweet! I also discovered that the rear derailleur has titanium bolts, so another score there. Everything seems to be in decent enough condition so this should be a pretty straightforward get-it-back-on-the-road-quickly project. The only thing I am waiting for at this point is a pair of world logo gum brake hoods, and they should be here early next week.
Super excited about this one, no doubt. Improvements and upgrades are already in the planning stages for further down the road. This is gonna be fun!

Pic from the eBay listing:

As it arrived:

oooh, the Hi-Low rear hub......

The parts I have to put it back together, including very nice Record alloy headset, SL pedals w/ Campagnolo alloy toeclips, Cinelli stem and olde logo Cinelli Campione del Mondo bars, Super Record brake levers, Record brake calipers (nutted for now, need to get some recessed), a titanium water bottle cage, a coiled metal rear derailleur cable guide, and even some Newbaums tape from the C&V Box Of Crap:

Last edited by hazetguy; 05-30-19 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For hazetguy: