Old 06-03-19, 09:35 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
None of this makes any sense to me. Almost all insurance companies insure motorcycles so why not an ebike? As far as I know all insurance companies should insure bicycles under your home owner policy. If the bike is on your car and the car is in an accident which destroys the bike or someone steals it off your car it should be covered under the car insurance policy ( assuming of course the bike was locked inside the car or attached to a rack that used a lock to secure it. )

Insurance companies are in the business of insuring. If your insurance agent tells you your e-bikes aren't insurable, tell them you will then have to shop around for a company that will insure everything you own and then change companies. If they want your money ( which they do ) they will insure your bikes, motor or no motor assist.

Of course to be sure of all I just said it would be best to discuss what your insurance policies actually cover with your insurance agent. My ebike won't move unless I pedal, even if I turn the e-assist on I have to pedal or it won't move. In my book this makes it a bicycle. I can pedal with or without the motor, my choice but I must pedal or it won't move.
Fair way to insure eBikes, insure as MoPeds at 50 cc, as motorcycles at 100 cc and beyond. At 40 cc and below, insure as a bicycle. Require license and insurance as HP and top speeds dictate at MoPed and beyond.