View Single Post
Old 01-02-19, 11:10 PM
bacampbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I have read through some of the descriptions here and on the internet about what is the proper size bike is for my height, reach, inseam and so forth and on paper I should have a medium sized frame on a Cannondale Quick. Standover is fair as I have short legs but the reach is crowded as I am long in the troso. The second bike, another Quick, I decided to try the large frame as I can still stand flatfooted on the standover, with no real clearance, but the reach and body angle are much more comfortable for me. I have and am keeping both as there are days when the three chainring bike is just easier to ride than the two and the more compact, upright bike is what I want to ride. I guess I am between the two sizes and could probably be a candidate for a custom made frame but the large frame is so good right now that I am not in the market for another bike at the moment. Not trying to say anything profound, just that the tables don't always tell the perfect story and the common refrain I here on the forum that the best advise is to take it for a test ride. Truth be told I could put a longer stem on the medium and have a similar feel as I have on the large but the other dimensions are just different enough that I can not replicate the entire sizing. I am sure I will be told that I am mistaken but the rides I have taken on the large have been very enjoyable.
Be safe all, Frank.
I'm in exactly the same situation with my Trek FXS4. The lack of standover clearance on the large frame makes me nervous that I will get a surprise on a careless dismount, but it hasn't been a problem so far. OTOH, I think the shorter reach of the medium frame would make me feel crowded all the time.

Update: If I were buying a new one, I think I would make the same decision.