Old 01-27-19, 11:41 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Sticky9
Well... I've been relying on the better half to get the dogs to the park and everything has gone smoothly. I'm still looking for options to get them there. I think some of y'all misunderstood my post. The dogs are fine (I have kept rescue/problem dogs my entire life. I know how to understand them very well), and the deer population at my local park is not being changed by my dog chasing them around in a field for 30 minutes lol. I'm just trying to get ideas on what I could do. I appreciate the helpful posts.
Hi Sticky,

If you are still around I was thinking of your situation again (more about riding with dogs than vehicle transport) as I made a little video riding with my dog this weekend. I put it in the gravel section but I think it also applies here.

I think having two dogs does create more of a problem overall. As I said in my previous post, two dogs tend to bond and take cues from each other and one thing (I think) you really need to ride with a dog in civilization is the ability to reliably recall the dog on command. That's one of the first things I work on when just walking and letting them off leash. If the dog doesn't return it loses the privilege but part of that success comes from creating a close enough bond in all aspects of life so it wants to listen or having at least one of the dogs obey so that the other one learns by following it.

I do see someone locally running two and even three dogs sled style on a large adult scooter using pulling harnesses. The giant Schnauzer could do that fine (for fun) but it would instill a stronger pull drive which you may not want for walking. But if you got into it it would fulfill the need for exercise and help them bond to you as you direct their travel more directly. Sledders are very close to their dogs.

Or, you could take turns walking one dog beside the bike while the other rides in a crate on a trailer. This reduces the trailer spec need to just an ordinary limit and not double. That would also have the effect of letting you bond individually and correct behavior by crating or running.

This all seems like a lot of thinking and fiddly work but you need to do it initially to develop the right parameters down the road - doubly so for two dogs. Once established the running/riding becomes fun. If you are considering going LCF, and using a bicycle for primary transport, and if you consider a dogs active lifespan can be 10+ years, the initial investment in thought and training can set you up for years of success

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-27-19 at 11:50 AM.