Old 06-28-09, 09:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Twigman503
Ok here it goes. I'm 17 years old and I have been in relatively good shape all my life. In the past couple years I have become lazier and lazier and I decided that enough was enough. I picked out a sprint triathlon near me that will take place in late September and I have a few questions.
Awesome. I did my first tri when I was 19. If I recall correctly, I signed up to impress some chick I was into at the time. I have no idea whatever happened to her.

If I was to wear a shirt with sleeves during the bike/run portion, how would this effect the numbers written on my arm?
Shouldn't matter. They mark it on your legs too.

If I find it comfortable to run in my bike shorts, can I save some money and just use these for the bike/run portion? Or is a good pair of tri shorts a necessity?
Try it first. You may not like it. If you swim in your bike shorts, the chamois will fill up like a disposable diaper. I doubt it will be comfortable on the bike or the run.

On the bike ride, where is your number displayed? Does it go anywhere on your bike?
I've always put it behind the headtube, under the toptube. They'll probably tell you how they want it.

Where is the best place to rack your bike? Close to the entrance or close to the exit?
Depends on the transition area. Personally, I try to avoid running in my bike shoes as much as possible. In any event, try to put it on the end of the rack, toward the center aisle if there is one. I like to hang mine by the nose of the saddle.

How much do you eat and drink during the event? Do you carry a water bottle with you on the run?
Again, it depends. Hard to say how much is enough. But I try to eat and drink mostly on the bike. It's a lot easier there than on the run.

Thanks a lot!
Andrew
Good luck. And have fun!