View Single Post
Old 01-20-20, 10:33 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CohenS
Hi all,

I received one of these very cool headsets a couple of weeks ago, and have since been unable to figure out how to install it ... initially the main part (with the 'steerer tube' section) wouldn't screw in past a half turn or so. I had the fork faced and retapped which improved things to about one and half turns, and then removed the quill stem wedge that was stuck inside it, which again improved things. I can now screw the headset on about two and half turns. There is a tricky spot every turn, but nothing on the fork or headset threads indicates where/why this is. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

If it is unfixable, I could always trim the fork steerer to be short enough to only require two and half turns, but this is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help
Glad you found me here and posted this publicly so that it can potentially help others out in a similar situation.

First and foremost, please don't trim your steerer tube to 'fix' the issue! I'm certain there's a better way.

I have encountered slightly tight fits when installing the upper portion resulting from either a. some corrosion inside the steerer tube and/or b. some eccentricity between the external threads and the internal bore of the steerer tube. The quill portion of the innicycle conversion is sized just under the internal diameter of an ISO steerer tube. Most quill stems are a surprisingly loose fit in comparison as they are left in the forged state which can't hold tight enough tolerances to produce a snug fit. Cinelli 1A stems, from which I borrowed a few details, are machined in this area resulting in a precise fit to the steerer tube. But just like an innicycle headset, this means that the ID of the steerer must be completely free of corrosion, and at least until I can prove this isn't an issue, concentric to the external threads (only applicable to innicycle).

That you previously had a wedge stuck in the steerer tube tells me that there is a good chance there is significant corrosion inside of it. I'd start with some heavy duty Scotch Brite and see if you can clean that up. Progress to sandpaper only if necessary to treat some particularly bad spots. Get it clean and recheck the fit. If it's still snug, clamp a threadless stem on the innicycle tube portion and see if it turns with a slightly more torque. Don't force it but perhaps it just needs to overcome just a bit of tightness in a spot or two.

Looking forward to getting this sorted out.