View Single Post
Old 03-29-20, 02:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Titanium is fine. Titanium piping is regularly used in the chemical industry (including chlorine gas) for piping due to it's corrosion resistance. Carbon fiber I'd be a little leery of. Probably little effect on the actual fiber but the epoxy matrix probably wouldn't like it. I'm sure the chemical guy cyccommute would have a better idea of what to recommend.
Titanium rates as “fair” in terms of resistance to around 20% sodium hypochlorite solutions. Carbon fiber is about the same. Epoxy rates as “poor”. Household bleach is only 5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite so it likely won’t have much effect on any of these materials. That said, there is little reason to use it on bicycles.

Originally Posted by profjmb
Don't know if this is the right forum, but it seemed the best choice:

I'm going to bring a bike inside when my trainer arrives. (I'm not allowed outside for you know why.) My wife wants to wipe down the bike with a highly diluted bleach solution (4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water) and let it sit to dry before bringing it in. My bike is titanium, with carbon wheels. Is this going to harm the bike?
You need to ask “to what purpose?” Covid-19 isn’t just hanging around outside waiting for us to open our doors. If the bike has been outside, away from people for more 24 to 72 hours, it can’t have any virus on it. The virus just doesn’t survive that long outside of a host. Most of us aren’t in the habit of parking our bikes where people can handle them, sneeze on them, or cough on them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!