View Single Post
Old 03-29-20, 08:03 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
I doubt this information came from Johns Hopkins Hospital because of a number of factual errors. A virus is not a "protein molecule". See VIRUS STRUCTURE. Also, DNA is not a protein. There are "DNA" viruses and there are "RNA" viruses. Their status as "living organisms" is somewhat murky; see below. If you want to post a link to the "Johns Hopkins" source, I am prepared to eat my words.
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Unlike bacteria the COVID-19 virus is NOT a living organism.

The information is from John Hopkins Hospital and hopefully will be if
interest.
-------------------------------------------
* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA)
covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by
the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic
code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it
is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends
on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
* LISTERINE. It is 65% alcohol.om the inside.
Listerine is *not* 65% alcohol. "Ethanol, which is toxic to bacteria at concentrations of 40%, is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic."(Reference)

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living
organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.
Antibodies are how we are protected against viruses. They are why we usually only get most viral infections once. They are the basis of the mechanism of action of most vaccines. See THIS.
*Antibiotics* are not effective against viruses. Viruses aren't "alive" in the normal sense, but neither are they "dead". They can reproduce and evolve, but they require a living cell to complete their life cycle; you could think of them as parasites of a sort. (VIRUS)

There are too many errors in the above information to have Johns Hopkins as their credible source. Sorry.

Originally Posted by profjmb
My wife has lupus, and she is also...anxious about germs. She is also scientifically sophisticated and is convincible. We live in a condo building with a basement, where my bike is. She is worried someone using the basement may have the virus, and so doesn't want me just to bring it inside.
You could keep the bike in the basement and wipe the contact points (well, saddle and hand grips, brake and shift levers) with anti-microbial wipes, rubbing alcohol, your dilute bleach solution (see below). Then go outside and ride, where you are safer than you are indoors with other people around. On return, wash your hands after touching any doorknobs.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The amount of bleach you are talking about is about 0.1% bleach. The suggested amount in Miele Man’s post is 1%. I suspect that even 1% is too dilute to do much good.
1% is way more than necessary. Rutgers University has a page on the best ways to kill coronaviruses in your home: LINK. They call for a quarter cup of bleach in a gallon of water. I'm too lazy to calculate the concentration, but it's quite a bit less than 1%.
Likes For sweeks: