Old 05-23-19, 05:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 20grit
Things that could help:
Gum colored hoods.
Ditch the ergo bars for a normal drop bar in aluminum finish.
Frame-color matching cloth tape.
Contrasting color headtube. If there are no closeup shots, you could fake in some lug lining to make it look like there are lugs. If there is always an accenting color hitting the "lugs", it will be a little more convincing.
Silver or white cable housing.
Fake some chrome on to the fork and rear triangle.
Maybe some pin striping running the length of the fork to accentuate the length and make it look less chunky?
Frame pump
Skewer with aluminum finish instead of black
Tubular tire carrier

I would say take the coloring scheme from the green and black Raleigh Grand Prix or any early '70s Schwinn Varsinental. Get B17 or leather substitute saddles, with silver setback seat posts, also black handlebar tape, preferably Tressostar or other cotton. Saddle installations without setback was not heard of. Instant recognition on-screen as a "vintage" bike would seem to be the point. I think the reference to tubulars will be lost on all but the dweebs, like us.

Is 105 available in silver and with short cage derailleurs? Hilly or flat? Will these prop bikes actually be ridden before getting run over, or whatever?

I really like the idea of painting in lugs and lug lines - I think that will be effective camoflage on-camera. If there's a close-up you need a "beauty spot" model, real lugs, possibly real geometry. Buy one 1970 Grand Prix for that purpose.

Also, seat tube color band - follow the Grand Prix pattern.