Old 11-07-19, 06:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I have been through this 2X with kids and nice bikes at school.

1. If he is in the dorm, there may be secure bike parking. U lock and chain, leave it on the bike rack. Better yet, figure out a way to bring it inside.

2. For around campus or town, U lock and cable.

3. Lesson in how to lock up a bike. U lock through seatstays and wheel, cable through front wheel and U lock. Make him show you. Make him text you photos of his lockup.

4. Uglify and illuminate the bike with reflective stickers, reflective tape, stuff that will come off without harming the paint.

5. Helmet, lights and reflective. Getting hit by a car is way worse than losing a bike.

6. Never leave bike locked up outside overnight. Doesn't matter how well it is locked up then.

My son rode his '86 Peugeot PX (SLX, full Mavic) to high school for four years without theft, by locking up securely. My daughter is in her fifth year of college (don't ask) and her Peugeot hasn't disappeared. It can be done.
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, I'm in my 42nd year of college if you include time spent getting various degrees and time spent teaching college students, so five is easy to understand!
OT not unusual if the Cal state system at impacted campuses to take 5 to 6 years to do undergraduate due to not be able to get classes.....fortunately my son is not at an impacted school

on topic: Don't know if your son is just starting or not, but sometimes if the student has connections they can park in a bit safer area than open racks. My son has a place to park in the gym ...his connections was starting varsity footvball (before it was cancelled)), gym rat/weight room from day one, team video guy before he played He still has Big on guard and a cable he uses. I may be doing a beater for him as his fixie does not do well on the hills