Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
So I finally got a power meter

just so you folks would quite ranking on me about it. Not really. A close friend of mine was involved in a could-have-been-worse car encounter in which his bike was destroyed. Insurance got him a new bike with pedal-based meters and he gave me the Powertap Pro+ meter. Good start, free meter. Then I had to go and spend $257+shipping on a fancy aero rim and CX-Ray spokes. If I'm going to use it, it has to be in a decent wheel. I built it up yesterday.

Used it for the first time this evening on my rollers. Works fine with my Edge 800. I calibrated it and set the display for 10' average power. Meter vs. HR says I'm still trashed from last Sunday's ride. I knew that. No problem pumping out a little power, but HR's still in the toilet. More recovery.

My WAG at FTP is 150 from looking at Strava's calculations. Might be even worse. I won't get a chance to do a test soon because I'm tapering for a big ride. I'll give it a month and then test. This roller ride was for recovery and looking at Coggin's zones, I've been "recovering" 10+ watts too high, but I knew that, just not the number.

I set up my TrainingPeaks account to use power. Do I have to do anything in Strava to switch it over to power from HR for calculating and displaying? I changed my FTP there already.

Thanks for the encouragement.