Old 07-20-19, 09:28 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I have read in a few different places that being unable to eat, and throwing up is past heat exhaustion, and is then heat stroke. Heat stroke can mean you are then killing brain cells. You might want to do some research on this subject. I'm not an expert, I'm just repeating something I read. Glad to see you were being careful. I would be worried anyway.
I do appreciate the concern. I never had a full-on incident of vomiting, just worried that could happen. In terms of eating, after my stomach started to feel off I decided it would be smarter not to try to eat either of the other turkey and cheese sandwiches, so did not actually try. When I purchased things at the afternoon stops that seemed more simply sugar I was able to eat them and they made a difference.

So if instead of starting to worry only as I rode out of a stop that I'd already been at too long and was anxious to leave, I'd instead have realized right away that I didn't have suitable food and gone back in and bought the pop tarts that I bought there on the return, or fig newtons, or ensure, or whatever (or better yet packed it from the start) then while I still would have had a hot ride to deal with, I wouldn't have been trying to do the second half of it with the deficit of energy that I had until I started to get something out of the candy I bought midafternoon or the pop tarts early in the evening. I've also discovered two more potential stops along the critical 20 mile afternoon stretch - a park water fountain, and a gas station mart that should have some food options.