Old 10-05-19, 07:13 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Bikes
SL5 is a bit aggressive seating, but I like a lot. I am 5'9", so rode 54" CheckPoint. With 52" frame, as I could rest both of my feet on the ground. But the LBS Technician recommended size 54" Frame (with 54" I am barely touching the ground).
I would say that if you were comfortable on the Checkpoint, you won't regret having a drop-bar bike. I have thoroughly enjoyed the extra options my gravel bike has given me this summer. I get that they're not for everyone, but if you liked it then I think it's a better choice for you than a flat-bar hybrid.

As far as size goes, I am 5'10" and have a 56". I wouldn't want anything larger, but I am comfortable on it. So I would guess the LBS tech is correct in recommending the 54". When you say you can barely touch the ground, do you mean while on the saddle or even after you come off of the saddle? That's normal while on the saddle; it would definitely be too large for you, though, if you mean you can barely touch the ground while just standing over the top tube.

Not sure 650$ price difference worth the carbon frame of SL5 (See price below)
I agree with you. My Jari has an aluminum frame with a carbon fork like the ALR5, and I have never felt like I needed anything more than that to counteract road chatter. Those 40mm tires will do wonders for comfort, and even if you get a narrower tire like 32mm or 35mm for road riding, that's still more than enough when combined with the drop-bar hand positions to ward off any numbness. Like I said before, when I went from 28mm to 35mm on my Absolute, it really smoothed things out a lot. And with drop bars, not only do you get more hand positions, but in my opinion the bar tape dampens vibrations much better flat-bar grips such as Ergons. The gravel bike has completely eliminated all numbness I was experiencing before, so I don't think you need the carbon for that.

A lighter bike is certainly a good thing, but I don't think I'd pay a $650 premium for it. I'd bet the ALR5 weighs pretty close to what my Jari does, and I don't find it heavy in the least.

I would go with the ALR5 and spend some of the savings on a good pair of clipless pedals and shoes.

I am thinking of 2020 ALR5. As far as the colors, Trek only have the British Racing Green and Charcoal in stock. The color I like (Matte Axinit) is out of stock and can only be available in Jan 2021. That is disappointing.
That is too bad - that matte axinit looks awesome (online, at least).

I will say, though, that I've owned three bikes since getting into this sport a few years ago, and I wasn't super excited about the color on any of them when I got them... but they eventually grew on me. In fact, I absolutely love the glossy black color of my mountain bike now, and I like the silver/red combo on the Jari a lot more now than I did at first.

Having said that, how much riding do you think you'll do before January? If you live in a cold, snowy climate like me, there's not much time left in the riding season this year. And if so, then it might be worth the wait for the axinit -- that's a really different color, one for which I'd probably be willing to give up a few weeks of immediate riding in exchange for having that color for years to come.

At any rate, glad you were able to get one a variety of bikes and try them out. It's always good to do your research online, but nothing can replace getting on the bike and riding. Let us know what you end up deciding.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 10-05-19 at 07:21 PM.