View Single Post
Old 10-15-12, 05:21 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha_bravo
If you draw the line around simply the doping, I agree with Pcad's thesis completely. He did what he had to do and leveled the playing field.

However, what really surprised me was about the USADA report was just how vindictive and ruthless Armstrong was (and likely still is) to anyone who threatened to shatter his glass house. We all know about Frankie and Betsy Andreau (whom I probably feel worst for), Emma O'Riley, Landis, Hamilton, and others from the past. But hearing that he was threatening Levi last year in retaliation against his testimony (which undoubtedly cost him Levi his job with RadioShack) and the way he routinely thought nothing of destroying those who crossed his path just to preserve his ill gotten gains really disturbed me. No one is vilifying Armstrong in the media, his actions and threats against those who were trying to tell the truth reveal his true colors. These were guys who fought hard for him in each Tour, sacrificing their own ambitions and ultimately selling their souls to his demands. When the time came for them to own up to their own transgressions Armstrong did everything he could to burn them quickly and violently. He could have come out and owned up to things, kept his friends and teammates from having to be in this position. Instead he branded them as liars and did everything in his power to destroy them. His actions really disgust me.

I'm no fan of Lance, but there are two products he's a part owner in which I love to death: Honey Stinger my favorite on bike food and Mellow Johnnys my favorite bike shop in the world. At first when I was hashing this out in my head I could live with it. He doped in an age of dopers, no big deal. However, after reading the USADA report and hearing about the sheer malevolence he exudes, I just don't want to support anyone like that.
Look at it another way....most everyone you mention either directly or indirectly got rich and famous off of their association with Armstrong. Assume the stories are correct and true...if you know that you re about to embark on an illegal path, do you continue to stay there? If you took a job and you learned that a job requirement was doing something illegal, do you stay?

I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that take something they know is wrong, and then are disillusioned when the people that hired them try to protect themselves. That does not make it right. But everyone was in the program with eyes wide open.

As Don Corelone said. ,"You can't ever leave the family."