View Single Post
Old 03-12-24, 01:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
... Anyway, I bought a new somewhat lighter one since I had to carry it with me now, but it is still heavier than I want to carry 500 miles.
As I noted above in a previous post, for daytime when I am only in a store for a few minutes, the skier lock is most convenient. Or a cable lock for overnight in campgrounds.

But, for my titanium bike, that bike is not my most expensive bike but it does look like my most expensive bike. So, I bought a Bordo 6100 link type lock. Over $100 USD. Not as good as a U lock and still quite heavy, it is the lock I use for most purposes when I ride that bike. And it came with a nice bracket that I attached to the bottom of the top tube to carry it. Occasionally, I heard some vibration noise on the lock, but a velcro strap solves that.

If you bring a key type lock, you must be better than I am at making sure you do not lose your key. I only bring combination locks anywhere.

On a bike tour I often use bolt on skewers instead of quick release, any 5mm allen wrench will open them. That is because my cables are often too short to go around both wheels. I keep a spare 5mm allen wrench with my spare tubes. The special skewers that take a special key, I know I would lose the key.