Old 12-24-19, 07:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m a big believer in having plenty of gear inches for climbing. I’m not a great climber but I can climb about anything at a steady pace.

I have two bikes I use for hilly rides. One has a 50/34 crank with a 10 speed 11-32 cassette. The 50-11 is perfect for keeping the speed up long downhill descents. I usually train avoiding using the 32 cog, but love it when it’s needed. I’ve been able to climb everything using that combination.

My other newer 11 speed bike has disc brakes who’s ideal for twisty downhill descents, especially when it’s wet. That bike has a 52/36 crank and an 11-34 cassette. It’s about the same gear inches for the easiest gears. The 52-11 is really nice for super straight and long downhills. We had a long downhill from Crater Lake and also Diamond Lake in Oregon this past September. I was able to move out in front of our group and really keep the speed at a maximum with the 52-11.

My Pinarello has a 50/34 crank and a 12-29 cassette. It’s good gearing for my riding around the house.

I just put a 46/30 crank on my gravel bike with an 11-34 cassette. I had a 34 crank on it before and I think the new 30 is going to be a keeper, although I haven’t tried it out yet.