View Single Post
Old 12-22-23, 10:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Bents don't scratch the same itch for me as an upright bike....I don't see a bent in my future. Not knocking them for those who prefer them though.
I'm with you on this. I don't like the view from down there in traffic. Rail-Trails would be my only use for a bent trike. I don't even have a way to carry one anywhere and I am definitely NOT a pickup truck owner. Full sized van? Maybe. Hopefully on my 100th birthday I'll have to figure that out.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
78. I had a noticeable drop-off at 63 and again at 70, no idea why really. Might have been that I'd eased off for a short period and then couldn't get it back.
Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Not that you and I are exactly the same but in a database, trends can be established over numbers of people. The database is in my head.

So 2 things: never quit but OTOH, cut back on the quantity of intensity. The commonest things to happen are the advent of aFib or vTach, then doctors. Both those are a result of too much top end work and can be game changers. Read through the Pills and Ills subforum.
Just got thoroughly tested. Wore a monitor for 6 weeks. So far I'm free of defects in the heart area. Good to know before I start tackling hills.

Another thing is sarcopenia. Consistent work in the gym is the solution to that. Strength does not seem to be as age sensitive as is aerobic ability.
My wife is a gym rat. She keeps bugging me to get some weight training going for bone strength. Just so incredibly boring not sure I could get motivated. Maybe I'll give it a go to be with her more.

Personally, I prefer lower gears to going electric, although the association between going electric and loss of cycling strength seems to be individual. Some folks just push the button, others don't until they hit their redline. It's just too easy to avoid a little pain.
I'm not an E-Bike fan. That would be my very last resort.

My wife and I have been riding a tandem since '07. I seldom ride my singles on the road any more, the tandem is just too much fun. We've toured on it, really fun.
My wife is terrified on a bike. She would have a stroke riding with me on a tandem, unless she could take the reins. Then I'd have the stroke!
Likes For JoeyBike: