View Single Post
Old 05-05-11, 08:42 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pub
Does anyone or did anyone feel embarrassed at first when riding around on a bike?
To be honest I am and that comes from a few reasons.

1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.
I can't seem to wear bike shorts yet, unless under my pants. I do get embarrassed for myself when all the little old ladies on the non-ergonomic comfort bikes pass me on the MUP. It is my nature to be competitive. But all I can do is keep plugging along. I refuse to let my negative feelings sabotage me.

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.
I am pretty good with the gears because I used to ride a fair amount 30, 40 years ago. But I still have to get off and walk up at least one hill a day because I can't make it up no matter what gear I am in.

Am I being totally stupid here?
No, you are being human. Community is very important to us human animals and you are feeling like you do not belong. Come here. Share. Make this your community. That is what I have been doing. It helps. We belong here.