Old 08-25-15, 06:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I imagine that you'll see massive improvements in your power after you start racing. You should try it, ideally a midweek training series (cheaper, typically less intense, typically more relaxed about getting shelled/etc).

I'm the poster boy for low FTP and reasonable results, mainly because I can sprint and I've been doing it long enough that I can hide from the wind pretty well.

As you've noticed weight is pretty significant in that w/kg thing. I would typically say that weight isn't as critical in flatter races but, having been 155-210 lbs in the last 8? years, I'd say that being lighter is better than being heavier. I raced much of this year at 160-ish lbs (5'7") and did much better than when I weighed in the 180s. I basically do the same courses all the time, basically approach my races the same way (sit in and sprint), and when I'm lighter it's easier. FTP seems to be pretty steady, 210w or so.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson